Brief Historic

             They say the older and some historians prove with scientific documentation that the first settlers of the municipality were two brothers: João Alves Feitosa and José Alves Cavalcante. Climbing the course of the river Cariús, they were located in the streams of the Riacho Brejo Grande, almost in the place where today is the mother church of Senhora Santana. At that time, the region was habited by the Buxixé Indians.

Based on written documents of great historical value, there is a very old news, according to which on 23 February 1717, Alferes Antônio Pita was awarded a three-league session that had as limits the current brass site and the Araripe Basin. But apparently, Alferes Antônio Pita did not even exploit the land he had obtained. There is another documented information that in 1744 these lands were cast off by Domingos João de Carvalho.

            In one way or another, in the government of Dom João VI, Santana do Brejo Grande, as it was then known, already had an expressive population nucleus, justifying the installation of a justice, according to the testimony of Milliet de Saint Adolphe, in his historic dictionary and descriptive of the Empire of Brazil, published in Paris in the year 1845.

           The municipality of Santana the Cariri was created by law 2,096 of November 25, 1885, which elevated the village of Santana do Brejo Grande to the category of village, the seat of the municipality of the same name. The project was presented to the Provincial Assembly by Deputy Arcelino Arraes.

              Santana do Cariri has had several names. Besides Santana do Brejo Grande, which was the first name, Santana was also called Santana do Araripe. The law 287, of August 3, 1893, changed its name to Santana do Cariri. By decree 448 of December 1938, by inspiration of Dr. Clodoaldo Pinto, was renamed Santanopole. Finally, under the law 1,153 of 22 November 1951, he returned to the traditional denomination, calling himself, since then, Santana do Cariri.

It is indispensable for the strengthening of tourism in our municipality can count on an indicator for a tourist itinerary, describing the main tourist attractions and providing informative elements about these points that constitute the basic core of that represents the historical and cultural patrimony of the municipality of Santana do Cariri. It is of general knowledge, the role that tourism plays today for the sociocultural development of a region and the dissemination of history and its attractive potentials. Thus, it is necessary to obtain and disseminate information about the municipality of Santana do Cariri, its historical formation and the basic points that constitute its cultural richness. (NUVENS; 2013)

MOTHER CHURCH OF LADY SANT'ANA

It was Padre Pedro Inácio de Moura, vicar of Santana do Cariri of 1893 to 1909, who ordered to demolish the small chapel already very ruined and began the construction of the imposing current matrix, only completed by Padre Francisco Silvano de Sousa in the year 1914. Padre Silvano de Sousa was a vicar in Santana do Cariri between 1909 and 1915. In the construction of the beautiful matrix were used 1,150,000 slabs. In 1911 there was the blessing of the bells, which were bought, through quotas, in an initiative of Padre Pedro Inácio de Moura.

Foto: Paulo Henrique

Grand House of Coronel Felinto da Cruz Neves and Dona Generosa Amélia

Few cities in Ceará have a valuable jewel, a rare treasure that would proudly fill the cultural and artistic heritage of any community in any part of the world. Built in the passage of the NINETEENTH century to the TWENTIETH century and inaugurated in 1911. Cradle of municipal decisions for years or decades, the main chiefs of local families had, in this house, their daily meeting, thus becoming the grand house in the berth Insurance where politicians, civil, military and ecclesiastical authorities who demanded Santana do Cariri.

Foto:Paulo Henrique 

SHRINE OF THE YOUNG BENIGN CARDOSO

Benigna Cardoso da Silva, the Mártir girl, was born on October 15, 1928

She was the youngest daughter of the couple José Cardoso da Silva and Thereza Maria da Silva.

Benigna's father worked in agricultural activities, the mother of Benigna did the housework in the couple's humble home and took care of the four small children. Benigna lived only thirteen years and nine days and faked his earthly existence, mortally wounded, the victim of an attempt at sexual violence, to which he resisted bravely, preferring death to sin against chastity. Benigna was buried the next day at the cemetery of Santana do Cariri in the plot of the Sisnando Leite family that adopted her.

Santuário da jovem Benigna Cardoso (Foto: Ypsilon Félix)

MÁRTIR BENIGNA'S MEMORIAL

The Memorial of the Mártir Benigna arose through a temporary exhibition idealized by Professor Carlos Eduardo de Sousa, the natural son of Inhumas. The inauguration took place on October 23, 2015, the eve of the 13th pilgrimage of benign, from the event to this day the space opens the doors for visitation, research, and social actions. Space is located at Rua Moisés Xenofonte N º 65 behind the chapel of São Vicente de Paulo, in the Inhumas' neighbor of Santana do Cariri. The Memorial is linked to the special program at Proex-Urca.

Open: Tuesday to Sunday (08:00h to 11:00h-14:00h ás 17:00h) Phone:(88) 99606-1850

Memorial de Martir Benigna (Foto: Carlos Eduardo)

Pontal da Santa Cruz 

Pontal da Santa Cruz geosite distant 5km from the headquarters of Santana do Cariri. Panoramic observation point in the city is located at the top of the Araripe Plateau, near the village of Cancão Velho, now known as Vila do Pontal, at an altitude of approximately 750m. On whose top was findered a cross to ward off the demon that second popular belief there made appearances.

Foto: Paulo Henrique

VALLEY OF THE BURITIS

Located 9km from the headquarters of the municipality of Santana do Cariri, south of Ceará, the valley of the Buritis has great importance for residents of the river valley Cariús. Place of pleasant climate and exuberant beauty, full of fountains and streams that supplies the headquarters of Santana, the habitants of the Araripe Plateau and the residents of the valley of the Buritis. The name Vale dos Buritis takes place due to the large quantity of these trees in this environment.

Foto: Paulo Henrique

The valley of the Buritis is also fate for the adventurers

Rapel no vale dos buritis (foto: Daniely Guerra)

Rapel no vale dos buritis (foto: Daniely Guerra)

Brugge  Euroville Medieval 

Brugge is located 9.5 km away from the city's headquarters, contains replicas of buildings in the European style. In the on-site, you can also sample wines and various dishes.

A little piece of Europe is right in the middle of the Sertão do Ceará

Entry fee is charged

Monte seu Roteiro 

Bem Vindo ao Museu de Paleontologia Plácido Cidade Nuvens

Agende sua visita pelo 
     Ligue Já: 88 35451206
museu.paleontologia@urca.br 
Telefone ou email
  • Facebook Clean
  • White Google+ Icon
  • White Instagram Icon